Chantilly was available in the following:
- Eau de Toilette
- Eau de Cologne
- Liquid Skin Sachet
- Dusting Powder
- Face Powder
- Bath Softener
- Bath Tablets
- Talcum Powder
- Stick Perfume
So what does it smell like? The original Chantilly is classified as a chypre (woody, mossy, spicy type). It starts with a fresh top, followed by a spicy floral heart layered over a sweet, balsamic and powdery base.
- Top notes: bergamot, lemon, neroli, orange blossom, fruit note and spices
- Middle notes: orris, rose, ylang ylang, carnation and jasmine
- Base notes: leather, tonka bean, sandalwood, musk, benzoin, vetiver, oak moss, patchouli, vanilla and amber
"Chantilly Eau de Toilette with silk net atomizer in glamorous "Giftorama.". $5.00 Chantilly "Giftorama" with Liquid Skin Sachet and Eau de Toilette. $3.50 Chantilly Perfume in magnificent "Giftorama" setting. $5.00."
Chantilly was housed in various bottles over the years.
In 1970, the limited edition "Chantilly Collection Royale" line of luxury bottles and packaging was introduced to elevate the status of Chantilly perfume. It was dedicated to Louis and Marie Antoinette and was meant to recapture Houbigant's former glory by using historical bottles such as the Baccarat crystal ones for Parfum d'Argeville (Le Flacon Louis XVI) and the multifaceted one originally used for Essence Rare (Le Flacon de Versailles) plus a gilded powder box called "Le Boite d'Or Heritage Dusting Powder" as shown in the advertisement above.
- Le Flacon Louis XVI Eau de Parfum retailed for $20.00
- 4 oz Le Flacon de Versailles Eau de Parfum retailed for $15.00
- Le Boite d'Or Heritage Dusting Powder retailed for $7.50
Fate of the Fragrance:During the years of 1994-96, Chantilly was sold to Dana, but was able to retain the name of Houbigant. A lawsuit followed where Houbigant accused Dana of selling a watered down version of Chantilly. The lawsuit also accused Dana of selling the formula to unlicensed manufacturers.
In 2000, a reformulated version of Chantilly came back on the market. This newer version is classified as a refined, oriental fragrance, a soft amber parfum.
- Top notes: fruity notes, neroli, bergamot and lemon
- Middle notes: spices, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and orange blossom
- Base notes: leather, tonka bean, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vanilla and sandalwood