Chantilly was available in the following:
- Eau de Toilette
- Eau de Cologne
- Liquid Skin Sachet
- Dusting Powder
- Face Powder
- Bath Softener
- Bath Tablets
- Talcum Powder
- Stick Perfume
So what does it smell like? The original Chantilly is classified as a chypre (woody, mossy, spicy type). It starts with a fresh top, followed by a spicy floral heart layered over a sweet, balsamic and powdery base.
- Top notes: bergamot, lemon, neroli, orange blossom, fruit note and spices
- Middle notes: orris, rose, ylang ylang, carnation and jasmine
- Base notes: leather, tonka bean, Indian sandalwood, musk, benzoin, vetiver, French oak moss, patchouli, vanilla and amber
"Chantilly Eau de Toilette with silk net atomizer in glamorous "Giftorama.". $5.00 Chantilly "Giftorama" with Liquid Skin Sachet and Eau de Toilette. $3.50 Chantilly Perfume in magnificent "Giftorama" setting. $5.00."
Chantilly was housed in various bottles over the years.
For Christmas 1969, the limited edition "Chantilly Collection Royale" line of luxury bottles and packaging was introduced to elevate the status of Chantilly perfume. It was dedicated to Louis and Marie Antoinette and was meant to recapture Houbigant's former glory by using historical bottles such as the Baccarat crystal ones for Parfum d'Argeville (Le Flacon Louis XVI) and the multifaceted one originally used for Essence Rare (Le Flacon de Versailles) plus a gilded powder box called "Le Boite d'Or Heritage Dusting Powder" as shown in the advertisement above. Reflecting the 18th century of love of elegance, these Chantilly delights are encased in amber toned coffrets with the posh look of the softest velvet. Old stock of this collection was still sold in 1974.
- 6.5 oz Le Flacon Louis XVI Eau de Parfum retailed for $20.00 and features the scene of two lovers in a garden, delicately etched in gold, the flacon is topped by a gold sphere. How to tell this from the more expensive Baccarat crystal version? The Chantilly bottle has plastic on the end of the stopper and is made up of molded glass which is decorated with silk screened decoration, bottle made i France by Pochet et du Courval, bottle stands 7.75" tall. The original Baccarat bottle is made up of crystal with hand stenciled gild decor, and features a ground glass stopper.
- 4 oz Le Flacon de Versailles Eau de Parfum retailed for $15.00 is a multifaceted glass bottle marked Bottle Made in Japan on the base. The screw cap has a crown image on the top. The original Essence Rare bottle was cut crystal, by Baccarat and has a inner glass stopper and a fluted gilt brass overcap.
- Le Boite d'Or Heritage Dusting Powder retailed for $7.50, this gold tone box contains super soothing powder to apply with the softest of velour puffs.
- A small 0.13 oz size of Chantilly Parfum was also available in the Flacon de Versailles shape
- A small 0.13 oz size of Chantilly Parfum was also available in the Flacon Louis XVI shape
Fate of the Fragrance:During the years of 1994-96, Chantilly was sold to Dana, but was able to retain the name of Houbigant. A lawsuit followed where Houbigant accused Dana of selling a watered down version of Chantilly. The lawsuit also accused Dana of selling the formula to unlicensed manufacturers.
In 2000, a reformulated version of Chantilly came back on the market. This newer version is classified as a refined, oriental fragrance, a soft amber parfum.
- Top notes: fruity notes, neroli, bergamot and lemon
- Middle notes: spices, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and orange blossom
- Base notes: leather, tonka bean, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vanilla and sandalwood